A Tail of Three Fridges (well, really two fridges and a freezer)

 The kitchen refrigerator.

I thought that puppy would be an easy, couple-minute job, that I could just do and get over with.  

There again, I am dealing with THREE refrigeration units.  The main Dutch door, lower freezer drawer Frigidaire unit in the kitchen, the old fridge in the laundry room, and the up-right freezer in the laundry room.  

I commenced by cleaning out all the old stuff that I wasn't taking.  I started with a near-empty kitchen fridge because I anticipated this venture, and got rid of expired salad dressings etc. all along.  Plus we are trying not to get too many groceries because of this move.  We don't really want to throw a lot of food away.  The process didn't take long.  Dumped half bottles of this and that down the sink, plus ran Bryan's half jars of pickles through the disposal.  In about 15 minutes, I had it narrowed down to just what we could use or would take with us.  

Secondly, I thought I would move items from old fridge to kitchen fridge.  Ah but wait, I thought.  I better clean the kitchen fridge first.  So I did.  

The thing is, this fridge wasn't that dirty!  I wipe it out regularly.  It's fairly new, so it looks nice inside and out.  I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.  I guess I could have just wiped it out per usual, but no!  I must be a good citizen, and dismantle and wash the whole thing, piece by piece, and leave the buyer with a nice, like new fridge he can put his food in without worry.  

I must warn you.  Do Not Be Tempted.  Perhaps you want to remove the vegetable drawers, fill them with hot soapy water, and perhaps wash other smaller shelf units in the vegetable drawers while you have nice hot soapy water in them.  Don't Do It!  At least in my case, I should not have done it.  Veggie drawers did not fit in the sink.  So I balanced the drawer on top of the sink, and commenced filling with hot water.  Turned my back to do more messing around with the other drawers.  Turned back to see WATER EVERYWHERE.  The veggie drawer was not water tight.  Every other fridge I've owned has had water tight drawers.  Not this one.  So, commenced mopping up the floor, the counters, everywhere.  Rule number one....TEST for water tightness before proceeding.  

Another quirk of this fridge is that the plexiglass drawers are put together with segments butted up against each other, with no real way to snap them apart;  i.e. the bottom of the front wall curves inward and is butted up against the floor of the drawer.  Water and *stuff* can get between the pieces, and WILL REMAIN in that butted up area.  Then when you put the drawer back in, the *stuff* is backed by the whiteness of the fridge interior, and it looks like you didn't clean the darn thing at all!  And there was nothing I could force into the butted up section to get it all out, butter knives, or anything!  It sounds disgusting, but it was really just little specks in the dishwater, and the new guy probably won't even notice.  But still!  You should be able to wash the drawers without this issue.  

So, drawers are not water tight and NOT SUBMERSIBLE!  OMG.  Who designed this thing?  Obviously nobody that ever had to clean a refrigerator.  It was not a cheap fridge! Am I wrong to expect that you should be able to clean the thing without wrecking it and your whole kitchen?  I don't know... 

Bottom line, what should have been a quick thing, took me 2 hours!

But all items are now transferred to the kitchen fridge.  The old fridge is ready to be unplugged and transported to the trailer.  The freezer still has a few things in it, but by the time we want to move it, the stuff will be gone, and it will have time to sit on the front porch and thaw out a little before we trailer it.  

I keep forgetting to add this in at the bottom of my posts, so here goes!

Please post comments!  Or at the very least, share this post with your friends.  This puts our blog higher up in the search engine, and will perhaps help us monetize it better when the time comes.  So please, comment or share.  It's easy and free, and it helps us!  Thank you!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Begins

Catch Up and Preview

Jobs, and the Lack Thereof